Search Linux Wireless

Re: r8712u issue

On 07/19/2011 12:38 PM, Stefan Assmann wrote:
On 19.07.2011 19:32, Ali Bahar wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 07:16:36PM +0200, Stefan Assmann wrote:
On 19.07.2011 18:16, Ali Bahar wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:06:55AM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
On 07/19/2011 08:24 AM, Stefan Assmann wrote:

So far I can say that with scan_ssid=1 after rebooting the AP the
connection is properly re-established. Looks promising.

Your results make sense. The driver is fairly passive in all this.
It gets TX requests from the MAC layer, and passes received data
back up to that layer. It seems likely that the MAC layer built into
r8712u is not keeping track of missing responses, or it is not
probing the AP. In either case, it would not be productive to devote
any effort to fixing that part when either using NetworkManager or
setting scan_ssid for wpa_supplicant establishes periodic scans.
When these fail to get response from the AP, the softmac code will
respond, as you see.

The ultimate fix will be to convert to the driver to use mac80211,

Just what I've been thinking lately. I didn't think it very worthwhile
to invest too much into fixing the miscellany.

Agreed! Maybe we could add a note to the documentation to make the
behaviour more obvious.

There's documentation?! ;-|

... The following could be an option:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl819x

Good idea!

Larry's the author, and so it's _his_ call. _I_ am just tackling
whatever problems I run into; at the moment, that happens to be the
r8712u driver.

Right, my statement wasn't directed strictly to you, I was just
thinking of how to improve the situation. :)

The wpa_supplicant documentation is what should be changed to note that scan_ssid is useful for more than hidden ESSIDs. On the other hand, EVERY wireless example in 'man wpa_supplicant.conf' shows "scan_ssid=1".

Larry