Search Linux Wireless

Re: r8712u issue

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:46:24AM +0200, Stefan Assmann wrote:
> On 18.07.2011 10:27, Ali Bahar wrote:

> > How are you seeing that (to quote the above) "the network goes down"
> > and that the driver reports that "it's connected"?
> > (Typically, I use only ifconfig and iwconfig, but those don't monitor
> > the connection.)
>
> OK, so I first recognized the problem when I rebooted my AP and the host

Got it. Now I understand.

> in question didn't get back online. Checking the host itself it seemed
> that the network is doing fine, ifconfig showed the interface has an IP
> but I couldn't ping any hosts. After an ifdown ; ifup cycle everything
> was back to normal.
> I pulled the power from the AP, waited a few minutes and checked back.
> The ifconfig output still showed that the device had its IP.

It would (retain its IP#), unless if wpa_supplicant steps in.
Frankly, I am not familiar enough with the/any monitoring behaviour of
wpa_supplicant to know whether it'd step in. AFAIK it should and it
would.

> >> occurred in dmesg. The interface even keeps it's IP although the wireless
> >> was long gone.
> >
> > So ifconfig shows the IP#. I'm assuming that it no longer shows a
> > state of "UP".
>
> I would assume so, but I'll have to reproduce to make sure.

I don't need this anymore/yet.

> > This'd seem an inane question, but I must ask: What exactly do you
> > mean by the wireless being "gone"? Which GUI/utility/effect do you
> > see? Is it a powered-down AP, roaming, iwconfig's output, or what?
>
> I pulled the power from the AP. :)

Thought so. Thanks.

I'll try to reproduce this here.

thanks much,