Search Linux Wireless

Re: Binary for carl9170

Quoting Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Oh well, I can upload it to wiki, but not to your page at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/chr/carl9170/fw/
The question is, is kernel.org really a good address to host those firmwares.
especially in a personal folder.

I don't want to setup an alternative competing repository for carl9170
firmwares. Also, it would be nice to have the 1.9.4 firmware on
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/chr/carl9170/fw/

I would rather have them on wireless.kernel.org. Just like the ath9k_htc
firmware.

I don't have access to http://wireless.kernel.org/download/ but I think you can get it as the maintainer of carl9170.

So I created a separate wiki page for the 1.9.4 version of the firmware
and attached the firmware to it as "carl9170-1.fw".  That's an
equivalent of having directories with files having the same name.
Good thinking, we could add a changelog, the configuration and
some infos like supported features [e.g.: number of supported virtual
interfaces, supported WoWLAN triggers, etc...] to the same page.

I think it would be better to have one page for all versions, unless there are huge changes in every release :)

What I created is just a trick to allow the firmware to be downloaded under the same name that the driver is looking for.

The carl9170 page recommends 1.9.2 for all kernels up to 3.0.  The 1.9.4
is recommended for compat-wireless.  If that's not your recommendation,
please feel free to update the wiki.
oh no, this should be just fine.

Good.

--