Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath9k 9380: All 5Ghz channels flagged as passive-scanning

On 05/23/2011 02:46 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez<mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

No. You can only do this by trying to take the card out of compliance
purposely or unknowingly in software.

Oh and my point was that "regulatory hacks" fit this description.

Ok.  I believe you are right in general, but I can't see how enabling
a device to work on a non-scanned channel can break something, if
it is perfectly legal and appropriate for there to be an AP on that
scanned channel.  In other words, if I change my Netgear to be on channel
48, scanned it, and then created a VAP on that channel, that is OK with
un-hacked regdomain stuff, but if instead I change regdomain to 0x0
and use channel 48 without re-configuring my Netgear, somehow that
suddenly causes issues?

At any rate, all I really wanted to do was tie-break an off the
shelf AP that appeared to cause ath9k clients to silently be
unable to ARP after a while.  I have something that appears functional
now, so back to real work.

Thanks,
Ben

--