Search Linux Wireless

Re: Slow receive with rtl8192cu (usb ew-7811Un)

On 05/16/2011 12:18 AM, Rob Browning wrote:
Larry Finger<Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:

You could patch either the linux-2.6 kernel (2.6.39-rc7), the
wireless-testing git tree, or get the source from your distro. You
will have to build the entire kernel as I do not have the necessary
make files to build the driver as an out of kernel module.

That patch didn't seem to have an effect -- the receive rate still
settles at about 60Kb/s.

I patched the Debian linux-2.6 source package and rebuilt the kernel.
The Debian kernel appeared to already have the wifi.h diff.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Strange. With that patch in my system running with the current wireless-testing kernel, I get 19.8 Mbps download and 17.3 Mbps upload using tcpperf. The box at the other end is wired to my router/AP. The wireless connection is configured for 270 Mbps, thus rtl8192cu is not driving it at full rates, but that performance should be satisfactory.

Please run the following command for a couple of minutes to see what rate you get:

wget http://ftp.utexas.edu/opensuse/factory/iso/openSUSE-NET-x86_64-Build0018-Media.iso

That mirror might not be the best one for you to use, but that should be the best one to duplicate my results.

On my system, the instantaneous download rate ranges between 250 and 700 K/s. Without the patch, the rate is 48 K/s.

Larry