Search Linux Wireless

Re: concurrency advertising -- driver maintainers

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please excuse the long CC list. I want to make you aware that I plan to
> remove the WIPHY_FLAG_ENFORCE_COMBINATIONS flag again soon, so that all
> drivers that don't advertise valid combinations will not be able to have
> multiple virtual interfaces.
>
> The affected drivers, as far as I can tell, are:
>  * ath5k
>  * ath9k
>  * carl9170
>  * hwsim (I'll look at this)
>  * iwlagn (I'm handling that of course)
>  * mwl8k
>  * rt2x00 (see RFC patch)
>
> I'm happy to help out with the restrictions code, please let me know.
>
> I'd like to remove the flag again before it ever goes upstream, but I
> understand the timing is bad, unless we hold my patch out of 2.6.40.
>
> For completeness, I checked all drivers, and the following drivers don't
> support more than a single virtual interface anyway:
>  * adm8211
>  * at76c50x-usb -- but it is broken because it has no checks
>  * b43
>  * b43legacy
>  * iwlegacy
>  * libertas_tf
>  * p54
>  * rtl8180
>  * rtl8187
>  * rtlwifi
>  * wl1251
>  * wl12xx
>  * zd1211
> (Staging drivers:)
>  * brcm80211 is broken, allows multiple but can't handle it
>  * winbond is also broken the same way

I seem to have missed the patch that introduces this advertisement of
valid combinations
in mac80211. Do you have a pointer towards this patch and/or some of
the documentation
for it?

That would make it a lot easier to see if your RFC patch for rt2x00
actually makes sense ;-)

---
Gertjan