Search Linux Wireless

Re: bad packets in monitor mode with ar9170 devices

On 04/04/11 20:16, Gábor Stefanik wrote:
> 2011/4/1 Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Friday 01 April 2011 18:54:29 Gábor Stefanik wrote:

>>> Isn't ar9170 the wireless-N version of zd1211? Because zd1211
>>> also had this problem with ZD_SNIFFER_ON. See
>>> http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/zd1211rw_inject_2.6.26.patch
>> inject? ???
> The patch is misnamed.
>
>> quote from include/net/mac80211.h:
>>
>> "enum ieee80211_filter_flags - hardware filter flags
>>
>> These flags determine what the filter in hardware should be
>> programmed to let through and what should not be passed to the
>> stack. >>>>> It is always safe to pass more frames than requested,
>> but this has negative impact on power consumption. <<<<<"
>>
>> so, if you don't want the garbage then don't enable monitor mode.
>> OR set the appropriate FIF_ filter flags and hope the mntr setting
>> doesn't affect the way how the hardware/firmware/driver/stack
>> marks "bad" frames.
> IIRC in zd1211, the garbage was not simply PLCP-failed frames - the HW
> returns completely bogus frames with ZD_SNIFFER_ON, even if placed in
> an RF isolation chamber. Not sure about ar9170, but AFAIK ar9170
> inherits quite a bit from zd1211.

zd1211 sent garbage constantly, things were actually added to kismet
because of that failure.

While I personally have no such issues with chr's most excellent driver,
I can still point you to kismet's readme and suggest you search for
'fcs'.  Assuming the card has a similar issue to the zydas it passes bad
frames but validating the fcs drops the bad packets.

-Zero_Chaos