Search Linux Wireless

Question about code in rc80211_pid_algo.c

Hi,

I'm writing to you as the listed authors of the PID code in the mainline kernel.

I am helping adapt the PID algorithm for an appliance that will use the Realtek vendor driver and the ALFA AWUS036H device. The vendor driver's rate-control mechanism is not very effective. As the target kernel for the appliance is 2.6.21, we are not backporting mac80211 and the rtl8187 driver.

The package is working quite well, but Mark, the project manager, brought one section to my attention and I am forwarding it.

In routine rate_control_pid_sample(), the percentage failure is calculated, then if the rate has been changed, the code goes on to "update the rate behaviour info". At that point, the calculation is

         tmp = (pf - spinfo->last_pf);
         tmp = RC_PID_DO_ARITH_RIGHT_SHIFT(tmp, RC_PID_ARITH_SHIFT);

From our analysis of the code, both pf and last_pf must be in the range 0-100, and the first statement results in tmp between -100 and 100. After the second line does an arithmetic right shift of 8, the resulting value will always be zero. Did we miss something, or is this really a convoluted way to set "tmp" to zero?

Thanks,

Larry