Search Linux Wireless

Re: Disabling ACKs with ath5k

2011/3/25 Dennis Borgmann <dennis.borgmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello John,
>
> the goal would be to have a transmission as fast as possible while
> ignoring, if a packet reached its destination or not. I'd like to test
> wireless performance regarding transmission time in a dedicated
> environment. As far as I can see, backoff might already push the
> transmission times up quite a lot and if I'd even add the time of -
> worst case - 10 retransmissions, the transmission time of one packet
> will grow even more.
>
> It would be second-rank, if the packet reaches its destination. Loss of
> some packets is not a problem in my testbed.
>
> So I'd like to disable usage of ACKs in order to be off with the only
> problem - backoff. Disabling this would of course be nice, but I fear,
> that's far more work that just disabling ACKs.
>
> Dennis

Check out these flags...

AR5K_TXDESC_NOACK (set it on each tx descriptor to disable ACKs for
each frames -we do this for beacons already, check out base.c)

AR5K_TXQ_FLAG_BACKOFF_DISABLE (set it when initializing queues, see
how we handle the rest _TXQ_ flags on base.c)

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)