Search Linux Wireless

Re: Google Summer of Code 2011 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Till Kamppeter
> <till.kamppeter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
>> participation in the Google Summer of Code 2011:
>>
>> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/google-summer-code-2011
>>
>> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. If you have
>> problems mail me with your project idea.
>
> For 802.11 you can dump your ideas here:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2011/
>
>  Luis

Seeing as a few of the mac80211-based wireless drivers (for some of
the more dumb/basic/cheap devices) has gained access-point(AP)-mode
support code in the kernel recently in the last few months, it would
probably be appropriate to add (if it isn't already there) or enhance
access-point-mode support in some of the user-land tools like
NetworkManager, nm-applet, or wireless assistant? I think hostapd
doesn't care what type of drivers they are, except they need to claim
to support AP mode, so I think hostapd is okay... but of course there
are always the odd user-friendliness in various places that can do
with a bit of more work about "setting up a network service", e.g.
say, make it easier and more user-friendly to setting a bridge between
wireless client and wired connectivity. This involves configuring
hostapd, iptables for ip masquerading/network address translation, and
possibly a few other things.

Hin-Tak

P.S. Till: please feel free to recycle past unfinished ideas and sign
me up as possible mentors of relevant printer-stuff projects