Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath5k: AP throughput and signal strength problem

Hello hostapd and linux-wireless list!

Problem solved. I had to activate ieee80211d in hostapd.conf. Now the
device works fine. Seems like it worked in 802.11b mode before. Signal
strength and throughput are ok now. Sorry for bothering!

For those being interested, check attached picture, which shows power
levels of Linksys(channel 1) and Atheros(channel 6) measured 3m away
from each AP.

One last point - the performance is a lot lower with the Atheros-APin
border areas of receiving wireless signals than with the Linksys. I have
tested the two APs with several walls in between the AP and the station
used for testing, here are the results:

Setup: Linux client running kernel 2.6.37, iw 0.9.22 and a wireless card
from Atheros with AR5414 chip associates with a
LinksysWRT54GL("Linksys") and for comparison with a linux client
configured as AP with hostapd running linux kernel 2.6.37 and hostapd
0.7.3 with a wireless card from Atheros with AR5414 chip("Atheros").

Value for numbers: Mbit/s, measured with iperf using UDP

No walls
Linksys - 28
Atheros - 27

One wall
Linksys - 27
Atheros - 27

Five walls
Linksys - 24
Atheros - 26

Six walls - roundabout 20m away from the AP
Linksys - 9
Atheros - 5

Seven walls - roundabout 25m away from the AP
Linksys - 10
Atheros - 1

Client shows -76dBm at "Seven walls" for Linksys-AP and -83dBm for
Atheros-AP. Any idea on how to improve this furthermore?

Kind regards,
Dennis Borgmann

PNG image