Search Linux Wireless

Re: Ralink RT2501/RT2573 USB Wireless Adapter crashes kernel 2.6.37

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:26:25AM +0000, Eric Fernandez wrote:
> I reported this issue for two Linux distribution (Arch and Mandriva)
> after upgrading to kernel 2.6.37 and is rather critical for users of
> RT2573 Ralink USB Wireless adapters. This leads to complete system
> crash, which is solved either by using a wired ethernet connection, or
> by downgrading the kernel to 2.6.36 version. This happens in
> particular when watching a streaming video (e.g. Youtube). I do not
> see any entry in the log files. The sound goes to a loop, system is
> completely blocked and only a hard reset will allow rebooting.
>
> I feel this issue has been reported for other distributions too:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/673682
> and this may be related:
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2011-January/002935.html
>
> I tried to use the compat-wireless drivers (2011-01-30), which were
> compiled correctly, but rt2x00 module loading segfaults when inserting
> the USB adapter.
>
> What can I do to help squashing this issue?

I have no immediate idea about the cause of the crash, but
did you make sure you unloaded _all_ wireless modules
before plugging in the USB adapter after installing
compat-wireless?  "make unload" or a reboot should do the trick.

If it still crashes, can you check dmesg for the crash messages?

Thanks,
Johannes