Search Linux Wireless

Re: [linux-pm] subtle pm_runtime_put_sync race and sdio functions

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Kevin Hilman wrote:

> > Calling the runtime_suspend method directly is the way to do it.
> >

> Do you mean the driver's runtime_suspend method, or the subsystem's
> runtime_suspend method?

The subsystem's.  If the driver has a runtime_suspend method then the
subsystem's method will call it.

> >> While this works, I'm not crazy about it since it requires the driver
> >> know about the subsystem (in this case the bus) where the real PM work
> >> is done.  IMO, it would be much more intuitive (and readable) if the
> >> driver's suspend hooks could simply trigger a runtime suspend (either a
> >> new one, or one already requested.)
> >
> > This isn't clear to me.  Isn't the driver registered on the bus in
> > question?  Can't the driver therefore call the bus's runtime_suspend
> > routine directly, instead of dereferencing the bus->pm->runtime_suspend
> > pointer?
>
> Not sure what you mean by directly.  The platform_bus doesn't expose
> its runtime PM methods since they can be customized at runtime, so they
> have to be called via bus->pm.
>
> Or do you mean using dev->driver instead of dev->bus?

You're doing all of this for OMAP, right?  What is the subsystem's
runtime_suspend routine?  Is it omap_pm_runtime_suspend()?

If it is, then you can call omap_pm_runtime_suspend() directly instead
of calling dev->bus->pm->runtime_suspend().

Alan Stern