Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 2/3] mac80211: Support scanning only current active channel.

On 01/20/2011 10:17 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 10:06 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

This doesn't seem to make much sense either -- even if we do a scan over
multiple channels we should be able to optimise the part on the current
channel (maybe put it at the beginning or end too).

Maybe..but user-space can specify the channels it wants to scan,
and I assume that means what order to scan them in.  I have no
idea if changing that order would confuse some application.

No, it can't actually determine the order -- we sort them in cfg80211
anyway to de-duplicate them.

Ok, so assuming we re-work scanning across the board, maybe the first
thing is to sort them such that the current channel is always first
(if it's in the list at all)?

It seems to me that it would take quite a bit of re-work of the
mac80211 scanning logic to deal with scanning on the current
channel w/out affecting other tx/rx packets (as my patch attempts
to do), without setting some explicit flag before you enter
the scan state machine.

Yeah, so maybe it needs some re-work, but I think what you're doing is a
pretty strange hack.

If you have time to write some patches, I'll be happy to test them on
our ath9k and ath5k systems.

If you don't, then I can make an attempt.  Suggestions for an acceptable
way to go about doing this would be welcome.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>