Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] ath9k: Handle interface changes properly

On 2011-01-13 6:18 AM, Rajkumar Manoharan wrote:
 On 2011-01-12 10:06 AM, Björn Smedman wrote:
 >  On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Rajkumar Manoharan
 >  <rmanoharan@xxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
 >>   The commit ""ath9k: Add change_interface callback" was failed
 >>   to update of hw opmode, ani and interrupt mask. This leads
 >>   to break p2p functionality on ath9k. And the existing add and
 >>   remove interface functions are not handling hw opmode and
 >>   ANI properly.
 >>
 >>   This patch combines the common code in interface callbacks
 >>   and also takes care of multi-vif cases.
 >
 >  How does your patch handle the race condition between the interface
 >  change done in process context and the beacon tasklet triggered by
 >  SWBA?
 >
 >  Also, perhaps more applicable to the commit log than the patch, how
 >  can opmode be properly handled in multi-vif cases? I mean let's say I
 >  have two AP vifs and then change one into STA, is the opmode then STA?
 >  Compare that to the case where I have two STA vifs and change one into
 >  AP; so again I have one AP and one STA vif but this time opmode is AP,
 >  right? I can see how I can be wrong about these examples but I can't
 >  really see how the opmode concept can be properly handled in multi-vif
 >  cases.
 I think opmode should be handled as follows:
 If there is at least one AP interface, opmode should be AP, regardless
 of what the other interfaces are set to.
 If there is no AP vif, opmode can be set to the primary vif type.

Correct. this RFC patch does the same.
Really? I don't see that being handled properly, it still seems to overwrite ah->opmode based on a single vif type for some types.

Maybe it would be a good idea to clean this up and first limit the number of different types that we pass to ath9k_hw (i.e. only AP, ADHOC, STA). Later we can make a separate enum for that to avoid passing the type as-is entirely.

I think the mesh point opmode has no place in ath9k_hw. Right now it is treated like ad-hoc, but I think that's completely wrong. Mesh should behave just like AP mode, as no ad-hoc style TSF synchronization should be done by the hardware, and 802.11s mesh nodes do not compete for beacon transmission.

Also, there is no reason to have a WDS opmode in ath9k_hw. WDS is typically used along with AP mode interfaces, and where it is not, the AP opmode should be used for ath9k_hw anyway.

- Felix