Search Linux Wireless

Re: [linux-pm] subtle pm_runtime_put_sync race and sdio functions

On Saturday, December 18, 2010, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 18:00 +0200, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
>
> > > That's where the problem is.  If there's a difference, from the driver's
> > > point of view, between suspend and some other operation, there should be a
> > > way to tell the driver what case it actually is dealing with.
> >
> > Yes, the problem will be solved if the driver would bypass the runtime
> > PM framework on system suspend. mac80211 obviously has this
> > information, and technically it's very easy to let the driver know
> > about it.
> >
> > But the difference between suspend and normal operation is really
> > artificial: in both cases mac80211 just asks the driver to power its
> > device down, and the end result is exactly the same (a GPIO line of
> > the device is de-asserted in our case). The difference between these
> > two scenarios
> > exist only because runtime PM is effectively disabled during system
> > suspend, and therefore the driver has to look for an alternative way
> > to power down the device.
>
> Sounds to me like the difference isn't really in the driver, but the
> core PM subsystem. Why does it care when powering off a device whether
> it's during suspend, or during runtime?

The problem is that the driver is using something it shouldn't use for
the particular purpose.  Plain and simple.

Namely, it uses the runtime PM _framework_ (which has specific and _documented_
limitations) for general power management of the device it handles.  It is
wrong and it has nothing to do with the PM subsystem.

Thanks,
Rafael