Search Linux Wireless

Re: ar9170usb slow / poor performance (SOLVED)

On Monday 06 December 2010 17:34:15 Wade Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I could not get anything sensible from carl9170. I will keep trying though.
hmm, hard to say what it is? I bet it could be conflicting
stack/driver modules. (i.e.: the driver is from compact-wireless,
whereas the mac80211, or cfg80211 is the original module from 2.6.36)

> The Otus message comes from arusb_lnx which was loaded automatically
> after ar9170usb. Should I remove the arusb_lnx.ko file?
either that, or add it to the module blacklist (also in /etc/modprobe.d)

> I did not patch the driver as I am not clear what MCS and minstrel_ht are.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009> #Data Rates

"Data rates up to 600 Mbit/s are achieved only with the maximum of four
spatial streams using a 40 MHz-wide channel. Various modulation schemes
and coding rates are defined by the standard and are represented by a
Modulation and Coding Scheme (MCS) index value."

minstrel* is mac80211's default rate control algorithm.
The original minstrel only supports legacy (802.11a/b/g) data rates
and minstrel_ht only selects 802.11n MCS (index).

> Simply unloading the modules and modprobing them again does not work
> reliably. I think it must be due to not reloading the firmware
> properly.
The ar9170usb, otus and all windows-driver firmware will only be uploaded
once (on the first time a driver is loaded). All later upload attempts are
ignored. The problem here is that the firmware program can't be easily
replaced "in-place" without breaking compatibility or functionality.

> I added the mac80211 options to modprobe.conf and after rebooting,
> both wireless dongles are stable and ping times are back to normal for
> the ar9170usb driver.
no need to reboot, you can unload modules with modprobe -r / rmmod
[as long as the modules are not in use, or an other loaded module
depends on it].

> #
> # /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
> #
> options mac80211 ieee80211_default_rc_algo=minstrel

the problem with this is that carl9170 (or any other driver
that relies on minstrel_ht to supply 802.11n MCS rates)
are limited to the legacy rates (and physpeeds of 54Mbit)

> BTW - my AP is a Netgear WNR2000v2
> I can do further testing if you would like me to.
Well, we had a funny incidents with WNDR3700.

<http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg56581.html>
after some initial problems with WMM, he got it sort-of-working.
This "sort-of" should be fixed now:
<http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg60612.html>

Best regards,
	Christian