Search Linux Wireless

wireless in linux

I'm a somewhat of a newbie to Linux. So far I have been impressed with the information that I have been able to readily find to get things done in Linux amongst all the reference books, on-line tutorials, and various Linux communities. However wireless in Linux has been a different story.

A few weeks ago I was asked to provide wireless functionality for an embedded system. A simple USB wireless adapter to connect to an access point was all. I thought it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. However adding wireless capability has truly been a formidable challenge. I'm still not there yet. I'm staring right now at the latest wpa_supplicant readme with all the choices that I need to make. I'll be lucky if it works. It's really been a piece-meal effort so far.

The only information I can find is very limited to it's context and is geared to individuals who have intimate knowledge of Linux wireless. How does one get up to speed with wireless-linux with the apparent lack of good general information regarding what's needed in a wireless linux kernel?

Are there any reference books, tutorials, howto's, wireless enabled kernels...anything that someone can point me to that would help?

/carl