Search Linux Wireless

Re: Re-distributable 88w8335 Firmware?

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 11:29 +1100, Julian Calaby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Once again, someone is trying to build a working driver for the Marvel
> 88w8335 chipset, and is once again hampered by a lack of
> re-distributable or official firmware. (See:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=128923265210125&w=2 )

I've sent a mail to a contact at Marvell, we'll see where it goes. I'm
hopeful given that Marvell has generally been pretty good with firmware
licensing in the past.  I'd have already pushed firmware from their
Extranet for the 8335, but all I have access to are Vista drivers.  I
did try to extract STA firmware from the Vista drivers about 2 years
ago, but the resulting firmware failed to work correctly with mwl8k so I
gave up on it.  Plus I'd  much rather have the duplex firmware from the
MSSII sources instead of STA-only.

Dan