Search Linux Wireless

Re: Scanning improvements for multiple VIFS.

On 11/12/2010 09:19 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
In nl80211_trigger_scan, if rdev->scan_req is != NULL,
instead of returning EBUSY, what if we set a flag in
the VIF that said "I want scan results too."

Then, when whatever is scanning is finished, it would send
scan results to all interested vifs.

But the scans results could technically be different
if they've been done on a different interface. Besides,

I was wondering about that...I was hoping that some results
were better than none, and that supplicant or whatever would
re-scan if it didn't find what it was looking for.

I'd also be happy to add a flag that would allow user-space
to request this feature enabled or not per-scan attempt,
and disable it by default so that no one is surprised by new
behaviour.

you can handle it in userspace. You've been trying for
weeks to avoid changing your userspace by changing the
kernel, which is still the wrong approach.

From what I can tell, you are right about wpa_supplicant
controlled interfaces (perhaps requires some supplicant hacking,
but logically it can be done), but what about non-encrypted
interfaces that do not even need supplicant?  It seems
user-space has very little to do with how these scan and
associated aside from setting the initial values.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>