Search Linux Wireless

Re: Bringing up Marvell 88W8300

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:22 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> for the mac80211 (mrv8kng).
>> My card is Asus Wi-Fi-Tv card (integrated tv capturing+WiFi adapter:
>> 01:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88W8335
>> [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 43).
>
> I'd been using a Netgear WG311v3 which apparently ships with v3.1.1.7
> firmware for screwing around with the driver.  I've got about 3 or 4
> 8335 CardBus cards lying around.
>

>> My current problem is that I can't load the firmware on the chip.
>> There are two files (Win drivers) on the Asus CDROM:
>
> I played with these a long time back based on mrv8k.  I found it tricky
> to find the right firmware combo.  The firmware I got from the card's
> drivers worked, but the firmware I tried to extract from the official
> Marvell 8335 drivers did not work.  I've still got all the stuff around
> though.
>
>> denis@denis-desktop:~/Downloads$ ls -al CB55N50.sys CB55N51.sys
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 denis denis 297856 2005-04-16 13:27 CB55N50.sys
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 denis denis 297856 2005-04-16 13:26 CB55N51.sys
>
> Hmm, one file I have (MRV8335.sys) is 339968 bytes in size.  I think the
> Netgear drivers were smaller though.
>
>> The FW cutter can't find the the main FW:
>> denis@denis-desktop:~/Downloads$ ./mrv8k_extract_fw CB55N51.sys
>> Bootloader found at 282088
>> Firmware not found
>
> It's pretty clear where the main firmware starts if you poke around.
> The extractor has a whitelist of known firmwares and yours may not be on
> it.  You might need to spend a bit of time with the hex editor and find
> out approximately where your firmware starts and ends, and add that to
> the list.  No guarantee that it'll actually boot on the card though.
>
>> I also tried the firmware from the *BSD (malo firmware), but also
>> without success.
>
> Yeah, this is a problem.  Not all firmware is the same; different builds
> have different things turned on or off and could well be customized by
> the vendor for their specific part.  It's unclear how generic the
> firmwares actually are.
>
>> Current problem that after loading the 'main' firmware the
>> MRV_REG_STATUS register is not
>> equal to MRV_FW_SIGNATURE.
>
> Yup, that means the bootloader firmware either failed to load the main
> firmware correctly, that the main firmware you extracted was not in the
> correct format, or that the main firmware simply failed to boot.  I've
> had that problem before too.
>

>> PS: Looks like that this tree no longer available
>> git://git.infradead.org/mrv8k.git :/
>
> So I've actually got a Marvell GPL-ed 8335 "duplex" driver and firmware
> (ie, STA and AP mode in one firmware file) lying around.  It's the
> standard Marvell net80211-based driver built for 2.6.18 or something,
> but I'm happy to post it and then you could try to (1) port the existing
> net80211 stuff to 2.6.3x to make sure the card + firmware actually work,
> then (2) fix up mrv8k or write a new mac80211 driver once we have the

Ok, I think that I also found this one (Don't know exactly where, but
I think that on the OpenWRT forum):
 * Name:        img_cb35_fw_duplex.h
 * Project:     Linux SoftAP for Marvell CB32/CB35 cardbus adapter
 * Version:     $Revision: 1.12.01 $

I will try to load the firmware that comes with the driver source.

--
Regards,
Denis