Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFT 0/3] ath9k: more PCU locking enhancements

On 10/26/2010 03:03 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Ben Greear<greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 10/26/2010 01:40 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

Here is some more PCU locking enhancements I tested today
while trying to resolve the WARN() that happens when we
try to stop RX DMA and fail. While working on that I figured
I'd work on the TX DMA stuff too, here's a shot at it. I
can no longer get TX / RX DMA rants, please test and let
me know if you do. I only tried some basic testing like
rmmoding while scannign, which typicallly produced some
errors. Now I don't get squat.

Ben if you can test wit your super proprietary application
that'd be great.

This also simplifies locking considerably.

This doesn't break suspend so I'm happy. It also depends
on the last RX DMA fixes I had posted earlier. If you'd
like to get an all-in-one patch of all my patches pending
you can wget this file and git am it:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/patches/tmp/pending-mcgrof-2010-10-26-v1.patch
sha1sum: 874a3cc1a57f7e26ad191cd7b5045315f94c5823

I have done some initial testing on the combined patch on top of today's
wireless-testing tree.  I also have the memory-barrier patch applied to
ath9k, as that is still not upstream.  I have no idea if it has any affect
or not (I'm on x86..seems that wmb() stuff was mostly for other platforms?).

So far, it is showing zero problems, certainly no memory poison issues.

The wireless-testing tree has some lockdep warning related to a mouse driver
that disables lockdep early, so it's possible there are lockdep issues
waiting.

I will let this test run for a while, but it already looks more stable
than before, so:

Tested-by:  Ben Greear<greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Awesome! Thanks for testing. So how about the TX dma rants, do you
still get those?

I've seen no rants at all.

I'm using my standard 130 STAs trying to associate with an AP that will only
take around 30 associations at a time..leads to 100 or so supplications constantly
trying to scan and associate, and I've never seen this test run more than about
10 minutes without poison warnings and/or lockups.  I used to be happy when it got that far :)

We'll do some more interesting tests with APs + STAs, as well as throughput tests, etc
as soon as we get time.  (Basically, hoping for same support that we pushed into ath5k
recently).

If you are aware of any existing/expected issues with multiple APs + STAs,
please let me know.

Thanks,
Ben

   Luis