Search Linux Wireless

Re: memory clobber in rx path, maybe related to ath9k.

On 10/15/2010 04:33 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
On 10/15/2010 04:21 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
Ben, please give this patch a shot. I addresses three races on the PCU:

* When we were stopping the CPU for non-EDMA cards we never locked
against
anything starting the PCU again

* ath9k_hw_startpcureceive() was being called without locking

* Although we lock on the rxbuf lock for contention against
starting/stopping
the PCU, we also need to lock on the driver in locations where we
start/stop
the PCU within the same location otherwise we end up in inconsistant
states
and the hardware may end up proessing an incorrect buffer for DMA. To
protect against this we use a new PCU lock on the main part of the
driver to
ensure each start/stop/reset operation is done atomically.

And fixes one issue as a side effect:

* No more packet loss on ping flood when you have one STA associated :)

The only issue I see with this is I eventually run out of memory and
my box
becomes useless, unless I am mistaking that for some other issue.

Please give this a shot and if it cures your woes I'll split it up into
3 separate patches, or maybe just two, one for the first two and one for
the last issue.

Sounds good, but this lockdep splat happens almost immediately upon
starting
my app:

[ INFO: possible circular locking dependency detected ]
2.6.36-rc8-wl+ #32

It ran for a bit..never did see the poison warning, but system hard-locked
(sysrq b on the serial console got no response) after a bit.  Hopefully
just because it hit this potential deadlock.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>