Search Linux Wireless

Re: Can 'iw' show the current tx-power?

On Mon October 4 2010 10:46:45 you wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Bruno Randolf <br1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon October 4 2010 10:27:47 Jonathan Guerin wrote:

> >> This does not work in adhoc mode:
> >>
> >> # iw dev wlan0 info
> >> Interface wlan0
> >>         ifindex 4
> >>         type IBSS
> >>
> >> # iw dev wlan0 link
> >> Not connected.
> >
> > the TX rate is different for each station (and basically for each
> > individual packet too) so it does not make sense to show that for the
> > "link" (what ever "link" may mean in the context of ad-hoc...).
> >
> > iw wlan0 station dump
> >
> > can show you the last TX rate for each station, but again, the rate can
> > and will change on a per-packet basis.
> >
> > there is no such thing as a "current transfer rate".
>
> With iwconfig, we can set a fixed rate, shouldn't this be what we
> expect to see as the 'rate'?

it only makes sense if you set a single fixed rate.

> Speaking of, is there a particular reason why we still have to use
> iwconfig to set the rate as well?

a TX bitrate mask has been added to iw in version 0.9.21:

commit 0db5d893ecf2ce4538af6fdcae3d94f2f83757e2
Author: Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Fri Sep 24 17:44:07 2010 +0200

    version 0.9.21

     * transmit power support
     * TX bitrate mask support
     * more informative scan output
     * make it build on old systems

you can use it like this, e.g.: "iw wlan0 set bitrates legacy-2.4 12 18 24"

this is much more flexible than the iwconfig way, as it allows a bitmap of TX
rates which can be used. again this is a reason why it does not make sense to
show a single TX bitrate, but i guess this TX bitmap could/should be shown
somewhere.

bruno