Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ath5k-devel] [ath5k] Incorrect value for ACK_TIMEOUT

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Bruno Randolf <br1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed September 15 2010 12:01:50 Jonathan Guerin wrote:

>> > thanks for looking into this! i think you are right in that there is a
>> > mistake here, but AR5K_INIT_ACK_CTS_TIMEOUT is just used for AR5210
>> > chips for setting the AR5K_SLOT_TIME. so this is wrong, but it probably
>> > does not affect you (or
>>
>> I did realise after posting my message that the value was being
>> written into the SLOT_TIME register, rather than the TIME_OUT one. My
>> bad, I should've done a more thorough search...
>
> probably writing this to SLOT_TIME is wrong too? anyhow 5210 is kind of broken
> and not so important, imho. but it would be good to fix it too.
>
>> We have a 5213 chip - does this default to the 5212 branch inside ath5k?
>
> yes. anything higher than 5212 is treated as 5212, generally.
>
>> > this is all confusing and i think we should replace the initvals by
>> > calling the function ath5k_hw_set_ack_timeout().
>>
>> Should all of the init be changed to use these functions, along with
>> #define init values?
>
> i think it would be best if we could remove the initvals alltoghether and use
> the function to set the ack timeout. but i'm not sure if we need to have them
> initialized to some value at the beginning. in this case can we just override
> them later using the function. or just update the initvals numerically (but no
> defines).

If there are no initvals, changing the mode won't init them to default
values, will it? Or are you saying that values should not be
initialised until the mode is set?

> it's great that you review this! i think no-one has looked at this since the
> original import, so there may be really old bugs here.

I've been a bit scared to post here until I had more information
rather than a generic "uhh guys, something's not working". It's been
causing me massive headaches with my work as I'm relying on the spec
for timing values, but finding that the driver is doing something
much, much different. I'm more than happy to post these things, but
I'm not a good enough programmer to just give you patches without
discussing the fact that I may just not be understanding what's really
happening.

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!