Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211-based commercial router?

2010/9/6 Björn Smedman <bjorn.smedman@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 2010/9/6 Gábor Stefanik <netrolller.3d@xxxxxxxxx>:

>>> No, they aren't.  Does Android really do AP mode or
>>> just adhoc?
>>>
>>> wl1251 is an in-tree module for the TI chip used in G1,
>>> but it doesn't support AP mode.  I do not know if there's
>>> a mac80211 driver that supports the broadcom chip used
>>> in other phones.
>>
>> AFAIK BCM4325 should be doable, especially if it is attached via SDIO
>> bus. In phones where SPI is used, it is more problematic, as b43
>> doesn't support SPI.
>>

> I guess the short answer is no then; all the chip vendors still focus
> on their own proprietary mac implementations, at least on the AP side.
> Any thoughts on what would be required for them to switch to mac80211?
> Will it ever happen?
>
> /Björn

AFAIK, the status is the following:
-Atheros: Ath9k is officially supported and recommended by Atheros,
and is usable for an AP - indeed, I believe Atheros is the first and
only company to officially support a mac80211 driver AND make chipsets
for APs. AFAIK, for the AR9002 family, no other Linux driver is
available (at least not wit 802.11n support). Once we begin seeing
AR9002-based APs with Linux firmware, chances are they will have a
mac80211 driver inside. CCing Luis on this one.
-Broadcom: they refuse to even acknowledge (maybe with the exception
of legal threats) the development of b43, and supply binary drivers
(and a 2.4-series kernel) in their platform kits. Also, b43 is way
behind time when it comes to HW support (it doesn't support N-PHY,
which is the norm now), and usually when APs begin shipping wiht a new
Broadcom chipset, b43 still doesn't support that chipset until much
later. I don't know about APs that include a Broadcom CPU but an
Atheros wireless chip - AFAIK some do exist, but all use madwifi or
some variant.
-Ralink: Again, platform kits contain non-mac80211 drivers, even for
recent chipsets (at least they are open-source, though). Someone
should find a way to make them base drivers for the eventual RT4xxx
(?) chipsets on the rt2x00 framework.
-Marvell: No idea.
-Realtek: Same situation as Ralink.

And some embedded Linux vendors:
-MontaVista: I believe they are still using 2.4.x kernels (though I've
heard of MontaVista-based routers with 2.6.8 - but even that one is
way too old for mac80211.)
-MikroTik: AFAIK RouterOS contains binary drivers with no relation to
their open-source counterparts. They even named their Atheros driver
"ath5k" IIRC, ignoring the in-tree driver with the same name! Plus,
even if it had mac80211-based drivers, it wouldn't matter, since there
is no (legal) way to access a Unix shell in RouterOS; instead it uses
a proprietary "configuration shell" apparently inspired by Cisco IOS
and ZyNOS.

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)