Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL 8187b - naughty behaviour

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 09:03:46PM -0300, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:
> lem
> 2010/8/8 Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On 08/08/2010 05:22 PM, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:
> >> SNIP ...
> >>
> >> So no luck with the Realtek driver yet?
> >
> > We are not doing anything with the Realtek driver. My RTL8187B device works
> > perfectly fine.
> >
> > If you were to study a vendor driver and come up with some patches to rtl8187
> > that made your device function better, then I would consider them, but at this
> > point, I am not looking at any changes to rtl8187.
> >
> > Larry
> >

> Ok, but have you seen the amount of people on the Ubuntu bug list with
> the same problem?
>
> I am just saying it seems it is quite widespread problem, not just my case ...
>
> I tried to post all information asked, I have no idea even if  I did
> the mmio trace right since I had no response.

Hello, folks.

I've been working for some two weeks observing the behaviour of
rtl8187B. Thanks to someone's report (I think it was Rogerio's), I found
the realtek driver. It does seem to work a little better regarding
transmission. I have taken a look at the driver (it's GPLed) and done
some experiments, but couldn't find any particular difference that
magically make it work yet.

I think the mmiotrace is not exactly what you want. Since these are USB
devices, usbmon dumps are much more readable and useful. I've made some
of my own, but still need to write some scripts to translate them to
something I can read and compare more easily.

As soon as I get some patches that work for me and are field tested for
these particular device versions, I will send them to the list for
review and testing with other device versions.

Larry, you mentioned in one of your messages about the specs. Are they
under an NDA or could you provide or ask for a copy?

At a glance, the realtek driver seems to do some dynamic power gain
control. I will try this as one of my next steps.

Regards,
Cascardo.