Search Linux Wireless

Re: Setting MCS rate on injected packets does not work properly (with patches)

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Daniel Haid <d.haid@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,

> When I use hostapd on one station and enable HT I get
> rates of about 60MBit/s.
>
> But when I inject packets manually and I set the MCS index
> the MCS index gets reported properly at the other station.
> However no matter what index I choose, I never get rates
> higher than 10MBit/s  (I wrote a program that reads monitor
> mode packets with libpcap and sends them to a tun device
> and everything that comes from the tun device is injected
> with libpcap - then I measured the rate for UDP packets sent
> trough this connection).

One reason for this is aggregation: injected packets are not
aggregated. Depending on your setup that could be the whole
explanation.

Also, a single fixed MCS index in the first slot of the tx control
rates array will not perform as well as e.g. minstrel_ht, especially
not if your radio environment is noisy.

10 Mbit/s sounds a bit slow though if you say you can get 60 in ap -
sta mode. Perhaps you are cpu limited?

/Björn