Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ath5k-devel] ath5k Ad Hoc Association

Hi,
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Bob Copeland wrote:

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Jonathan Guerin <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to get my wireless nodes to associate in ad hoc mode.
[[[snipped]]]
$ su
# modprobe -r ath5k
# modprobe ath5k
# iw dev wlan0 set type ibss
# ifconfig wlan0 192.168.10.1 up
# iw dev wlan0 ibss join myibss 2462

Then on the other machine (Vista) I just located 'myibss' (so beacons
are working) and selected it, then successfully pinged 192.168.10.1.
Wrong.
If the other machine located your node, then one of the four statements is true:
 a)beacons are working
 b)probes are working - which means a scan is happening.
 c)beacons and probes are working
 d)beacons and probes are not working. The vista machine saw a data
   packet, and sent a probe request, which your machine answered.

My colleague here did some work with a slightly older kernel.

He found that the association process worked sometimes - not always.
There was a time dependency - both nodes have to go through this at the same time.

Further - scans - it seems that nodes have to scan to find things. Old information in the mac80211 has to be expired and removed.

A scan should not be necessary - if both ends are put on channel 2462- a scan should not be required - there is no channel changing. Yet - my colleague noted a scan helped nodes to associate.

I would say this:::
I cannot deduce what is happening from the initial posters report. I need a packet dump of the beacons/probes and all the other packets on the air.

Cheers,
 Derek.
--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.