Search Linux Wireless

Re: ar9170-fw II

On 05/01/2010 01:19 PM, Christian Lamparter wrote:

Well, for starters the ar9170 uses a ZyDas MAC (aka ZD1221)
and a AR900x PHY/Radio. Therefore the phy code and registers
are very similar to those #definitions you can find in ath9k.
And for the MAC code&  registers you can look into zd1211rw,
or look into drivers/staging/otus (original vendor driver,
shares some code with their windows drivers)

AFAICT, there are no technical documents about the AR9170
solution available w/o signing a NDA with Atheros
(probably because the devices are still produced and sold in high quantities?).
    Thanks;
I did just discover a reasonably good 150p spec. in what I received from my client. If I can I will share it. I am under an NDA, but the client also told me that they received no cooperation from atheros.
What is available for the ar9170 itself ?
How does the firmware and the linux driver communicate?
   Is there an overview of the firmware - what is where ?
not really, apart from the headers of the original firmware
and vendor drivers.

But if you really need to implement some of your 'features'
(what are they, if I may ask?)
I think I can tell you what I am supposed add - I need to be able to provide userspace apps with precise timing information for each packet. Since i am working on GPL'd code and the results are going to be provided to third parties whatever I do is GPL'd too.
    Why gets into the NDA.

Right now i have an NDA with a new client and though I am exercising care. But they seem fairly mellow. I am probably just being overly cautious.

into the firmware you could
save some time by migrating to carl9170 code base:
( http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/chr/carl9170/1.0.5
   + linville's wireless-testing.git )
    The carl9170 code is the expected future of the ar9170 in Linux ?
    If so that is where I want to be working.
The advantages over the original firmware code (from a developers POV) are:
  * customizable/configurable fw
	+ driver can auto detect all selected fw features

  * userspace testbench ( carlu ) for the usb subsystem
    (allows you to run usb stress-test, dump the device's eeprom content
     to stdout and of course: you can implement your own routines
     and test&  develop without crashing the kernel)

  * all hardware&  firmware interface definitions are all located
    in a single directory /include/shared/*.h

	version.h	- carl9170 API/ABI version
	eeprom.h	- eeprom layout
	phy.h		- AR900x PHY/Radio definitions
	fwcmd.h		- implemented firmware commands
	fwdesc.h	- layout of the firmware descriptor (e.g. available/activated features)
	hw.h		- ZD1221 MAC + (Faraday USB) definitions
		wlan.h	- (part of hw.h&  phy.h) contains all the information about
				  tx&  rx frame formats.

  * (tiny) printf + hexdump (obviously, you want those ;-) )

  * follows linux' kernel coding style :-D
    Thanks alot.
        I will look seriously at that.
While I want to keep the scope of what I am doing small, and as narrowly confined as a I can, it would be nice if atleast some of my work was useful beyond the unique needs of my client.

Regards,
	Chr

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein