Search Linux Wireless

Re: [rt2x00] rt3070 fails to initialize with rt2800usb

> > The problem as I recall first occurred in late January
> or some time in February when  someone decided to
> remove large portion of the VIDs from the code because of
> driver collisions and I suppose the purpose of it was to
> reshuffle VID tables and insert some sort of order. Since
> then, compat-wireless does not automatically provide drivers
> for the rt307x via rt2800usb. To this point, only manual
> modification and inserting of the VIDs above solves the
> problem.
> >
> > I'm a 100% certain of this. Even if your cards have
> different VIDs /not 148f:3070/, just install compat-wireless
> with enabled rt307X support and see if "modinfo rt2800usb
> |grep 3070" returns something. Then you'll be able to verify
> my reports.
> >

> As I mentioned, I am not experiencing this. See attached
> the modinfo output for the modules that I built with a clean
> compat-wireless package.
>
> The only way I can explain this is that on your system, for
> some reason, changes to config.mk are not picked up by the
> build system.
>
> Can you try removing the include/linux/compat_autoconf.h
> file (from the root of the compat-wireless tree), and then
> run a make clean, followed by a make.
>
> ---
> Gertjan.

Unfortunately, removing this file changes nothing. The rt2800usb still doesn't pick up the 148f:3070 VID as modinfo would show. That is with enabled rt307x support in config.mk and removed compat_autoconf.h in the compat directory. I'm on a Ubuntu 9.10 / 2.6.31-20 kernel. The problem appears to be deeper that I thought.

I don't mind manually modifying VID table to enable support for my devices, but this would mean a large number of users won't be able to take advantage of the new code via compat-wireless. I'm puzzled how results differ, you appear to be testing it on Fedora system with .2.6.32 and Ubuntu 2.6.31 fails. I'm running out of explanations.

Walter.