Search Linux Wireless

Re: Athros wireless stopped working

Pavel Roskin wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 18:37 -0800, Jim Ham wrote:

What I have discovered is that if the ESSID is not active, iwconfig sets
it correctly and it sticks. If the ESSID is one that is locally present,
iwconfig seems to set it, but it almost immediately reverts to garbage.

Either you have a memory corruption bug in your kernel, or you have some
buggy userspace tool (it could be a misbehaving NetworkManager or wicd)
that changes ESSID on the interface as soon as the driver reports
association.  I haven't seen any similar reports.
Right on! All works in single user mode. On poking around I found that the Gnome client for NetworkManager was missing. Once I installed the client all started to work. So this is a Debian package management issue, along with perhaps a bug in NetworkManager or it's underlying utilities.

My distribution is Debian Testing (Squeeze). I'm not sure when NetworkManager showed up, but I'm betting that it was coincident with the wireless problem.

Thanks for the advice.

	Kernel driver in use: ath5k

ath5k is not an example of code quality, but I don't remember any memory
corruption bugs in it fixed since 2.6.32.

I suggest following steps:

1) Check for updates for your distribution, install updates, recheck.

2) Boot to the single user mode, make sure that wpa_supplicant and wicd
are not running (kill them otherwise) and try setting up the connection
manually.

3) Install the latest compat-wireless, recheck.

begin:vcard
fn:James Ham
n:Ham;James
org:Porcine Associates
adr:;;244 O'Connor St.;Menlo Park;CA;94025;USA
email;internet:jimham@xxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:+1 650 326.2669
tel;fax:+1 650 326.1071
x-mozilla-html:FALSE