Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlagn driver is no longer able to manage Intel 5100 AGN wireless controller

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 03:26 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 16:51 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Package: linux-2.6
> > Version: 2.6.32-8
> > Severity: important
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since about a month or so, I can not bring my wireless network interface
> > up anymore. At first I thought it was a hardware issue, but that's not
> > the case; under "that other" OS, everything seems to work fine.
> >
> > When I try to bring it up, the following ensues:
> >
> > wouter@celtic:~$ sudo ip link set wlan0 up
> > RTNETLINK answers: Unknown error 132
> >
> > Ben Hutchings told me on IRC that error 132 meant ERFKILL, i.e., that
> > the RF kill button would be engaged. But that is not the case; and
> > toggling it does not seem to change anything.
>
> Is this a known bug?  Otherwise, can anyone help Wouter to debug it?
[...]

Wouter subsequently reported that the BIOS battery recently ran down,
and that reflashing the BIOS has fixed this problem.  It sounds like the
BIOS state was somehow corrupted and that this resulted in incorrect
reporting of the hardware rfkill state.  Something to be aware of in
case anyone else reports similar symptoms.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere. - Anne Morrow Lindberg