Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC/RFT] minstrel_ht: new rate control module for 802.11n

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Bob Copeland <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Minstrel definitely performs better in real life.

Agree, minstrel works very well in real life.

> That said, I looked at the current minstrel code and have a few
> puzzlements:
>
> - As I understand it, minstrel is not supposed to delay packets more
>  than 24 ms to avoid TCP resends.  However, if I understand the code,
>  this is done by limiting each MRR segment to 6 ms, which doesn't seem
>  right to me.  The retries in the second MRR slot will have to wait
>  a backoff before being used, right?

I took a look at the minstrel code back in madwifi and the comments
there suggest this 24 ms thing is not very theoretically based. It
sounds like a very reasonable explanation though so I'm not saying it
is wrong. But I think there might be another very good reason to limit
the number of attempts at a given rate: after a certain number of
retries we have to conclude that our hypothesis about the packet
error/success rate is probably incorrect, and there is no point in
more retries at that rate.

An example: Lets say my hypothesis is that the packet error rate at 24
Mbit/s is 10%. The probability that 3 attempts in a row will fail is
then 0.1^3 = 0.1% (given that my hypothesis is correct). A
statistician would say that we have tested my hypothesis and that it
can be rejected on the 99.9%-level. Continuing with a fourth attempt
is approaching what Einstein defined as insanity: doing the same thing
over and over again and expecting different results. :)

> - Often, two slots in the MRR array use the same rate (e.g. slots 1 and 3).
>  Maybe we should pick a 'next lower' rate for the lower slot in such a case?
>  If we are really in a place where the originally attempted rate isn't
>  workable, this might slightly boost throughput.

Agree. With the same reasoning as above this can be generalized to: if
an MRR slot has failed and we have fallen through to the next one then
that slot should be set up to be optimal under a new hypothesis
(taking the failed MRR segment into account).

In any case Felix patch is a giant leap towards better rate control.
Looking forward to tweaking it and this time hopefully submitting
something.

/Björn