Search Linux Wireless

Re: Make b43 driver fall back gracefully to PIO mode after fatal DMA errors

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So send me a patch. I'll try it. But I have no hardware docs, nor any
> information about how that SSB bridge is supposed to work, or why DMA
> might be failing.

Btw, I also object to your argument that

  "Well, my original plan was to get rid of controller_restart and not add
   yet another user of it, because it is extremely broken and racy. The
   locking in the whole driver is completely braindead due to the mere
   existence of this function."

is a reason to not apply the patch. The patch makes the driver _work_. Not
on some odd-ball hardware either, but a regular Dell laptop.

So if you have a patch to remove controller_restart, I'm sure I can modify
mine to work on top of such a new world order. But if you do _not_ have
such a patch, then that is no argument for keeping the driver in a
known-broken state.

The fact that the driver locking is odd is _not_ a reason to not fix other
issues that are totally unrelated to locking.

			Linus