Search Linux Wireless

Re: wlan/eth bridge stops working after a while: how to diagnose?

--- On Wed, 27/1/10, Alexey Yudichev <ayudichev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've got ubuntu 9.10 (hostapd 0.6.9)
> + compat-wireless-2009-12-11 and
> the box is acting as a basic wireless internet router.
> Driver is ath9k
> and server adapter is D-Link DWA-547. All is working fine
> for 2-3 days
> until all of a sudden wireless client (MacBook Pro) stops
> pinging any
> hosts on a local network. The wireless association remains
> and hostapd
> logs are not showing anything unusual. Restarting hostapd
> or even
> networking does not help (although I believe restarting
> networking
> does not work well on ubuntu anyway). Only rebooting the
> server helps.

I've been having the same problems for a long time with two different Mini-PCI cards (AR5416 & AR9160) on Debian 5.0 w/ kernel 2.6.32, with various hostapd and compat-wireless releases (latest combination being hostapd 0.7.1 / compat-wireless 2010-01-26).

Both cards have similar issues where hostapd permanently stops transmitting beacons from between 10mins to just over 24hrs. There's absolutely nothing in any logs to suggest issues. I can however restart hostapd and the problem is immediately resolved.

> What would you advise to check/debug or otherwise what
> would be the
> best approach to diagnose the problem? I don't see
> anything
> interesting in dmesg, messages or daemon.log at this
> point.

I'm more than willing to collect logs too if pointed in the right direction.

Regards,

John