Search Linux Wireless

Re: Network QoS support in applications

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Olaf van der Spek
<olafvdspek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> I would like to clear up all this by and I'm willing to write a
>> document for application developers about network QoS. But I need help
>> to understand what's the proper way to mark different QoS
>> prioritities.
Yep, and I would have to disagree that the linux tools are not in use.
 A large portion (if not most) of the SMB/SME market uses appliances
that are based on the linux networking stack (when they are not using
the msoft competitor - if it exists).  Most of these also allow QoS
and traffic shaping out of the box..  Don't forget about the majority
of all of the wireless routers you write software for too :)  Most of
them use some form/combination of QoS/queues for prioritization as
well...

I do not think it is a matter of education, but rather "what do I
gain" from developers.  A lot of apps already mark packets, but in the
end, they must be trusted by the network.  I know I do not want/will
not allow any device that is not physically secure as well as
software-wise to pass packets without re-classification on my
networks...

-Greg