Search Linux Wireless

Re: Bug: 2.6.32 ath5k, associating with WEP128 AP is unreliable

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Bob Copeland <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Don Darling <darling.don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I recently tried upgrading to kernel version 2.6.32, but after this upgrade
>> my wireless card became flaky when making connections. In cases where a
>> connection can be established it is  stable, but there are problems when
>> making wireless associations. Downgrading to kernel version 2.6.31 resolves
>> this issue.  I'm not sure at the moment which versions of the ath5k driver
>> maps to these kernel versions.
>
> The (vanilla) kernel version is sufficient to know which driver it is.
>
>> I'm assuming this issue is related to the ath5k driver itself -- the network
>> I'm using is only WEP128, and doesn't need wpa_supplicant.
>
> Huh, I didn't think any mac80211 driver supported WEP 128.  Are you sure you
> weren't using madwifi before?  Or maybe WEP 104?
>
> Are you using any modparams with ath5k?
>
>> In fact, I have
>> fewer problems when I connect to WPA+TKIP networks with wpa_supplicant.
>
> This is somewhat more secure, so I'd recommend it, or better CCMP.
>
>> Reverting to 2.6.31 resolves this issue. It will connect the first time, and
>> I can disconnect/re-connect several times without issue.
>
> I can't think of anything that changed in this time frame with ath5k
> specifically
> having to do with crypto.  If you were using nohwcrypt=1, it could be a problem
> with mac80211.  Otherwise, bisecting might be the best route to pin it down.

One more important detail: wpa_supplicant can use both wext and
nl80211, while iwconfig and networkmanager are wext-only.

Don: do you use -d wext or -d nl80211 with wpa_supplicant?

> Also on the off-chance that it's not crypto related, you may try the suggestions
> in the following to get a better picture of whwat is going on:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/Reporting_bugs
>
> --
> Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com
> --

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)