Search Linux Wireless

Re: eapol_version=1 required for OS X clients?

Thanks for the informative response. Please see below for more...

On Jan 19, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Jouni Malinen <j@xxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:43:56PM -0600, Eric Volker wrote:

Is EAP version 1 secure?

It is not EAP version; it is EAPOL version.. In practice, there is no
difference in how hostapd behaves as far as version 1 and 2 are
concerned apart from the value in the header.

Thanks for clarifying that.

In light of this issue, why is version 2 default? Is there any way to
negotiate the version level? Which version do off-the-shelf consumer
routers use?

hostapd is implemented based on 802.1X-2004 and version 2 and as such,
version number 2 is the correct value to use. I would expect
off-the-shelf consumer products use a mix of both version 1 and 2. I
haven't checked this lately, but version 2 started showing up years ago
in many devices.

IEEE 802.1X-2004 (and already the earlier -2001 version) described
version negotiation mechanism for EAPOL. There are some implementations
that did not do this correctly and had problems when -2004 was
introduced (over fixe years ago!).

Based on the comments in hostapd.conf, EAP only seems to be used for
802.1X authentication. I'm using WPA/WPA2 (wpa=3) Personal
authentication, so why does the EAP version matter?

Because it is not "EAP version", but "EAPOL version" and
WPA/WPA2-Personal uses EAPOL frames.

Why is an OS as recent as Snow Leopard (10.6) using a protocol version
that the hostapd.conf comments imply is outdated?

It would be fine to use protocol version 1, but the real question here
is why does it not implement IEEE 802.1X version negotiation correctly.. Anyway, I do not think I've seen this with OS X tests myself (both 10.4
and 10.6), but do not remember details.. In other words, this could be
an issue in a component (just the driver?) and not the generic
supplicant in the OS.
Is it possible that I set something incorrectly in hostapd.conf that is causing interaction problems between OS X and EAPOL v2? I played with several options before finding a combination that would work. Perhaps it would be best to start with a clean hostapd.conf or even a clean install of Ubuntu. I did try three different OS X clients with different hardware, and they all failed to connect with EAPOL v2.

Here is the link that prompted me to try v1:

http://list.voyage.hk/pipermail/voyage-linux/2006-March/000748.html

That user specified EAP, not EAPOL but I think he may have been confused, as I was.

I don't know if it's related, but I'm also experiencing an issue where the AP stops working after an undetermined period of time. It stops beaconing and previously associated clients can no longer connect. I'll save that issue for a new email.

Thanks,

Eric Volker

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA