Search Linux Wireless

Re: Some remarks about compat-wireless KBuild system

Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Ozan Çağlayan <ozan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Current compat-wireless build system has some inconveniences for distribution packaging:
>>

>> - In Makefile, KLIB is set to /lib/modules/$(uname -r) which avoids compiling the stack
>> against a non-running kernel. In several other external kernel drivers this can be bypassed
>> by giving KERNELRELEASE=something to "make" but it's not working for compat-wireless.
>
> Did you not read README (or the instruction in the README not working
> any more)?
>
> compat-wireless can be used with a non-running kernel, and the
> instruction is in the top-level README. (I contributed part of it, the
> part on the non-running kernel which has just been distro-installed,
> e.g. to build and install compat-wireless during a routine upgrade
> which installs a new kernel but before a reboot to it).

Hi,

actually yes I've read it many times to not miss anything about packaging but I didn't see that part.
The instructions are still correct and building against a non-running kernel and installing to a different
directory works without problem.

sorry for the inconvenience, thanks!
Ozan Caglayan