Search Linux Wireless

Re: Revised wireless tree management practices

"John W. Linville" <linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Greetings,

Hi,

> So I'm tired of a) being asked how wireless-testing is managed; and,
> b) having trouble explaining it.  I think it is time to move to a
> more conventional process for wireless patches.

Hopefully this also reduces your workload. There is quite a lot of
wireless patches floating around nowadays.

> More likely, it means I may have to push an occasional revert
> through those trees that I might have otherwise avoided.

Having reverts in the tree doesn't sound that bad. Even we do mistakes
sometimes, no need to hide them :)

> For now, the main change to wireless-testing will be that I will be
> pulling from wireless-2.6 and wireless-next-2.6 rather than reapplying
> most patches.  This should limit (and possibly eliminate) the confusing
> patch-revert-reapply-repeat practice I have been using there for a
> long time.  However, I still anticipate using w-t as a holding area
> for questionable patches.  So, at least some patches may still get
> the revert-reapply treatment.  I may ask Stephen to pull w-t into
> linux-next in order to expand testing of any such patches.

I have two questions:

What tree should I base my patches on?

What about testing? Which tree is best to use for testing latest and
greatest wireless patches?

--
Kalle Valo