Search Linux Wireless

Re: ar9170 in AP mode

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 15:40 +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> OK, confirmed with my cellphone: If I enable powersaving, it actually
> has troubles replying on arp requests.

Thing is that it just won't see the request.

> I kept it disabled as my previous AP setup (rt2500usb on a special
> 2.6.21 kernel) used to fail with powersaving as well. So the good news
> is that one can perfectly run with such a setup for multiple years, and
> I will continue to do so with ar9170 for now - but I also see your point.

Heh. Well most people don't know how to turn off PS on their cellphone,
and shouldn't have to either.

> OK, carrying that patch locally will not kill me. Hmm, is there a way in
> the 802.11 to tell a client to not apply powersaving in this cell - just
> in case?

No. PS client support is a feature that the standard requires from an
AP.

> And what can be done to resolve this issue for real? Does the legacy
> otus driver work fine in this regard? Or are we lacking more information
> about the hardware?

We just need to find a way to buffer multicast frames until after DTIM.
Given that we have the firmware sourcecode, it should be doable.

johannes