Search Linux Wireless

Re: Linux wifi development board

On 10/06/2009 03:14 PM, David Acker wrote:
> Ahmed A wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been looking online for a Linux wifi development board.  I have
>> come across a few from small companies (reasonably priced), but most
>> of those companies seem to be out of business.  I would appreciate
>> suggestions from anyone that may have used one recently, or suggest a
>> link where I can more info some popular ones.
>>
>> I am mostly interested in doing some software development, prototyping
>> on the "application processor", not on the "baseband processor" (radio
>> part).
>>
>> If there is an alternate mailing list I can post my question, I would
>> appreciate that also.
>
> I have had good luck with boards from Gateworks,
> http://www.gateworks.com/ and radios from Ubiquiti, http://ubnt.com/ .
> All of it is supported by OpenWRT, although I believe that the gw2348-4
> (avila) has mainline support.

If Avila boards are a bit to pricey, you may consider getting an Ubiquity Routerstation (Pro) instead.
It ships with OpenWrt.
Anyhow, just check which devices have OpenWRT mainline support (http://www.openwrt.org) and choose one of them.

If you prefer x86 hardware and more standard distributions you may consider an Alix board
(http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm). I've got one here running Debian Lenny on a 8 GByte CompactFlash card.

Both Routerstation and Alix require additional miniPCI (or USB) WLAN cards.

Regards,
Joerg.