Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] compat-2.6: mangle symbols for driver-select

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Andrey Yurovsky <andrey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On a side note, the compat-wireless name mangling will help with
> another problem:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/249186
>
> ...this happens because compat-wireless builds a version of the usbnet
> module but then there are Ethernet dongles (ex: asix) that rely on the
> stock version of usbnet (they aren't updated by compat-wireless) and
> the user gets a symbols mismatch as a result.  This won't be an issue
> if compat-wireless' usbnet has mangled names for its symbols.

Good call.

My solution to this was to consider backporting the usb modules that
use usbnet, these modules are pretty dormant development wise so it
certainly is something we could do.

I'm giving this mangle thing another shot now since I don't see anyone
stepping up, I won't do usbnet, my first target will obviously be
Atheros drivers :)

  Luis