Search Linux Wireless

Re: Porting AR6K to use cfg80211

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Dave <kilroyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Matthew Ryan wrote:
>>>>

>>> Do you know of any examples in the source tree which are fullmac, but utilize
>>> cfg80211 that I could use as a base to get started?
>>
>> There are a few fullmac drivers in wireless-testing that use cfg80211. I
>> don't think these are in the recently released 2.6.31, but are queued
>> for 2.6.32.
>>
>> iwmc3200wifi and rndis_wlan are furthest along. orinoco is in the
>> process of conversion (it uses cfg80211, but relies on the wext
>> compatibility code for a large portion of functionality).
>
> Additionally you can poke at the HTC / HIF stuff I'm doing for ar9271:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc
>
> Granted I've removed all credit distribution stuff as ar9271 doesn't
> use it, but it still may be easier to use that then what I had seen on
> ar6k for HTC.

Let me clarify a little more.

ath9k_htc is a module which will use ath_htc and ath_hif_usb.
ath9k_htc delcares hardware support for the 802.11n Atheros 9k family
for devices which use HTC. The ar9271 usb device gets probed by
ath_hif_usb. ath9k_htc is being designed as the mac80211 driver for
ar9271 but it may be possible to just share the same ath9k_htc for all
SoftMAC Atheros 11n HTC devices.

Now, ar6k is FullMAC so an ath9k_htc per se is not needed but I'd
expect you'd just need to implement a ar6k.c which uses cfg80211 and
adds support for the ar6k hw famiy. You'd need to implement an
ath_hif_sdio.c to handle the SDIO transport and this would be the
module probing the ar6k devices over sdio. Now, sure, I don't expect
any PCI/USB ar6k devices but still, this is the architectural approach
I'd like to see.

  Luis