Search Linux Wireless

Re: ar9170 makes machine hang when shut down

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:32 AM, Malte Gell <malte.gell@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Joerg Albert <jal2@xxxxxx> wrote
>
>> > Does it make sense to use "rmmod --force ar9170" to force removing that
>> > module before shutting down?
>>
>> Why are you sure that the hang is caused by the ar9170 driver?
>
> You are right.... I thought this way, because my machine never hung and after
> installing the USB stick it hang... But, I noticed when i disable ISDN
> subsystem, it did not hang, so maybe it is the ISDN subsystem, I will try
> further.
>
>> The vendor driver is called arusb_lnx, the new one ar9170usb
>
> Vendor driver? Does this mean, Atheros made a driver on its own? Are there
> several drivers for the same chip now?

Atheros wrote a vendor driver called otus for ar9170 devices, this was
prior to the change of focus on working upstream. Atheros then
released code and gave specs, etc to a community developer who wrote a
proper mac80211 driver for ar9170. The main focus for development
today is ar9170. I believe ar9170 does not yet have AMPDU aggregation
enabled by default so otus is still available including the stock
kernel under drivers/staging area until ar9170 matches all features
provided by otus, Read each drivers's wiki page, the section regarding
ar9170 and 11n support is very outdated, I know Chris has worked hard
on this area.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/otus
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9170

I have a feeling not enough people know about the wireless wiki...

  Luis