Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] nl80211: introduce NL80211_ATTR_SCAN_EXPIRE

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 09:46 +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > It's not actually the same, and you didn't explain that well.
> > You care about the disappear case, but you made it sound like
> > you cared about the _reappear_ case.
>
> Okay, sorry. I thought you read my other mails about
> scan-life-time and that thus the context was/is clear.
>

> The base issue is: SCAN_TRIGGER does normally not a "clean scan",
> it normally adds entries to the BSS list or updates existing
> ones.
>
> Entries in the BSS list are only deleted after 15 seconds.

So on the supplicant side, this weekend I was discussing with Jouni
about making the supplicant *not* trigger a completely new scan when
trying to associate if the scan list was current in the past 5 or 10
seconds.  The issue here is that NM requests a scan, figures out what AP
to start using, then tells the supplicant to associate with it.  Then
the supplicant throws away any scan results it has an does a full *new*
scan before associating.  That adds about 5 seconds to each NM
connection attempt that I'd like to get rid of.

Would that interfere with your forklift case?

BTW, 10 years ago I did a forklift deployment too with pre-802.11
Aironet equipment and Netware.  Wasn't that fun to get up and running.
This was at a paper company too, and guess what huge rolls of paper do?
They absorb radio waves quite well.  Suck.  And forklifts can go *fast*.

Dan