Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtl8187b Problem with tx level

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Tobias
Schlemmer<keinstein_junior@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some problem with my rtl8187b device. It is included in my laptop
> running Ubuntu linux 2.6.28. I've tested several compat-wireless releases
> including 2.6.30 and 2.6.31-rc7.

Hmm, are compat-wireless versioned against kernels? I thought they
just have dates and git describe tags. Could you try the
latest-and-greatest? (the latest and greatest is ahead of 2.6.31-rc7
by a few months)
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

> The problem is that the network adapter looses the connection to the access
> point at very low distances. It seems to be as if the driver is too
> optimistic about tx power. I monitored the singnal strength on the access
> point (Buffalo running DD-WRT). When I associate the laptop with it the
> recieved signal strength starts full and drops rapidly in the first seconds.
> At the end it is about 0 at a distance of 4m. At this moment no ping will
> arrive the destination. Tests with other access points show similar results.
>
> After several attempts to get different drivers working I used an Ubuntu
> 8.04 boot CD this morning which seems to work out of the box. It has kernel
> 2.6.24 using a module called r8187. I compared these two drivers and got
> much better signal strengths, at least more stable connections. Maybe it's
> interesting that the two drivers report different signal strength
> (compat-wireless reports about 10dBm higher values than the old driver) also
> in signal quality the compat wireless driver seems to be more optimistic.

We are familiar with the r8187 module - what version did Ubuntu ship?
(the module headers are not updated so modinfo is useless). I see you
have the mesh code so that's quite recent.

I have compat-wireless from a few days ago, and iwconfig says - Bit
Rate=11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm - and I am in a different room from AP,
probably 4m through wall & furniture.