Search Linux Wireless

Re: Implementing wireless testbed on Linux

> In the case of using 802.11n chipset, which card and device
> driver should I choose? At the same time, which version of
> Linux kernel should be appropriate?

I'd go with Atheros based PCI cards. The cards are good, and the
support is outstanding (Atheros people work together with Linux
community on this mailing list!).

> Is there any difference between pci and usb interfaces?

Sure. Please read http://www.pcisig.com/specifications and
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/. The busses are VERY
different in case of hierarchy, latency, max transfer rates and
so on.

I fear, however, that this mailing list isn't the right channel
to transfer this knowledge.

> Definitely, all device and software should be stable and
> up-to-date.

That's a contradicion. Especially wireless is quite evolving in
the Linux kernel.

There's the possibility that you use a vendor-kernel (e.g. Debian
kernel, Fedora kernel, or whatever distro you use). I personally
won't do this, but I'd use a more "vanilla" kernel. The vendors
usually put a huge amount on patches into their kernels, that
will make results not as easy to compare. Also, if you have a
specific questions, chances are way higher that the people in
the mailing list know about the "vanilla" kernel or
wireless-testing kernel than some random vendor kernel.

If you absolutely need something stable, you should go with the
least recent stable linux kernel (see http://www.kernel.org/).

If you want to be more up-to-date, you should use
wireless-testing. Expect new functionality, fixed bugs, but also
new bugs there :-)    However, If you ever have to change some
driver code, you definitely want wireless-testing. You cannot
(usually) use the source from the stable kernel when submitting
patches. More info at
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation