Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ANN] b43 LP-PHY support (BCM4310/4312/4315) working (partially)!

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Johannes Berg<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 14:43 +0200, Mark Huijgen wrote:
>
>> After running the included python script, patching the cutter and
>> extracting firmware, I now get ucode version 478.104 in dmesg. Next test
>> is also without the 2 patches. Following log is from modprobe+ifconfig
>> wlan0 up:
>
> Not really surprising, the firmware is for the MAC _only_, it doesn't
> really ever touch the PHY, so it's very unlikely to matter.
>
> johannes

Actually, the output does change with the new firmware.

Current outputs:
1. Patches not applied, old firmware, default chan = 1: the channel
switch to 7 during calibration works, but nothing else.
2. Patches applied, old firmware, default chan = 1: no channels work
(not even the channel 7 switch in the calibration routine), ifup
fails.
3. Patches not applied, new firmware, default chan = 1 (I got this
from Larry in private mail): only channels 7 and 8 work, but ifup
works(?).
(4. Patches applied, new firmware, default chan = 1: please test!)
(5. Patches not applied, old firmware, default chan = 7: probably ifup
succeeds, but only channel 7 works. Not tested.)
(6. Patches applied, old firmware, default chan = 7: unknown, probably
doesn't work at all.)
(7. Patches not applied, new firmware, default chan = 7: Unknown.)
8. Patches applied, new firmware, default chan = 7: interface comes
up, scans (but only channels 6 and above show results), associates to
WPA AP on channel 11 and gets DHCP address (meaning, both TX and RX
working)!

Notice that 2 and 8 only differ in the FW ver and the default channel,
and in 8 (with new firmware), the switch to channel 7 during RC
calibration (before the switch to default channel) works - in 2, it
fails. Looks like the routines reverse-engineered from the newer
driver depend on the firmware included in that driver; or maybe the
old firmware simply doesn't properly handle LP-PHY. Initvals are also
a possible candidate for this. (Larry, what do you think about this?)

Mark, could you produce a dmesg output with the new firmware, patches
applied, and channel set to 1? Post the output of dmesg after scanning
& probably associating, if possible. (Scan/assoc may produce messages
in dmesg.)

(The news about TX working is great by the way!)

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)